Here are some background information about Deramakot Forest Reserve:
- Deramakot FR is under the jurisdiction of Sabah Forestry Department; it is the first natural tropical rainforest in the world to be certified as well-managed in accordance with sustainable forestry principles.
- The forest management system developed by the Sabah Forestry Department was first certified in 1997 after fulfilling all requirements of the Malaysian Criteria and Indicators (MC&I) and the Forest Stewardship Council’s (FSC; SGS-FM/COC 0065) Standards for Sustainable Forest Management.
- The management of forest operations are divided into: –
- RIL or “Reduced Impact Logging” where harvesting is based on 30 years cycle.
- Silviculture treatment involves planting and maintaining mixed Dipterocarp species, fruit trees and fast growing species.
- Rehabilitation programmes are carried out at degraded forest area.
- Forest protection is conducted by patrolling the area via existing roads and rivers.
- Wildlife management; under RIL harvesting methodology, there has been minimal impact on wildlife; it has been recorded that Deramakot FR has abundance of wildlife including the presence of endangered species.
- Road management; forest roads function as fire breakers, provide access for periodic wildlife inspection and support timber harvesting
- According to the 2nd Forest Management Plan (2005-2014), 51,642 hectares of the forest has been allocated for sustainable production of timber, 3,423 hectares are designated for conservation and the rest for community forest.
Pick up around 10am at your hotel in Kota Kinabalu or Sandakan. Travel for about 3-5 hours to Telupid. Lunch in a local restaurant. Reach the entrance of Deramakot Forest Reserve before 5.00pm. Drive slowly for another 1 or 2 hours to observe wildlife. Dinner – local dishes. Wildlife Drive at night. Overnight at Deramakot Lodge.
DAY 02 and DAY 03
Wake up call at 4am. Wildlife Drive at dawn. After breakfast and lunch – free & easy. Wildlife Drive at dusk Dinner – local dishes. Wildlife Drive at night. Overnight at Deramakot Lodge.
After breakfast, pack things up and get ready to depart for Kota Kinabalu or Sandakan. Lunch in a local restaurant. Drop off at your hotel in Kota Kinabalu or Sandakan.
The rate is inclusive of :
Permit and entrance fees to Deramakot Forest Reserve
Private Catering and Safari Services
Activities stated in the itinerary
English speaking Nature Guide (& Wildlife Photographer)
Hostel Styled Accommodation with air-con and attached bathroom
Visitors are advised to organise their own travel insurance (please submit a copy to us)